Friday, July 6, 2012

Real Rest

You may have noticed a rhythm forming here in this place. 

Monday through Friday there is something new to think about and then the weekend is quiet.

It’s a time for rest.

In his book, Sabbath, Wayne Muller writes:


Our culture invariably supposes that action and accomplishment are better than rest, that doing something—anything—is better than doing nothing.  Because of our desire to succeed, to meet these ever-growing expectations, we do not rest.  Because we do not rest, we lose our way.  We miss the compass points that would show us where to go, we bypass the nourishment that would give us succor.  We miss the quiet that would give us wisdom.  We miss the joy and love born of effortless delight.  Poisoned by this hypnotic belief that good things come only through unceasing determination and tireless effort, we can never truly rest.  And for want of rest our lives are in danger.”
Does this ring true with your experience?

It does with mine.  I’ve learned that I’m at my best when I have rested. 

I have also learned that just because I’ve left space or time to “rest,” it doesn’t mean that I always choose to rest.

It is the way that I use the time which determines whether I rest or not; and when I spend my time doing things that energize my spirit, I come away rested. 

It is when I drink in nature, spend time in conversation with my husband, curl up with a book of fiction, open up God’s Word and talk with a friend about it, have a good laugh, or any number of things that lead towards real rest. 

This real rest?  It is Sabbath. 

It is the rhythm of rest established by God at the beginning.

"By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work.  Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done."  Genesis 2:2-3 NIV
This is the rhythm that God gave for Israel to live by, after He rescued them from Egypt. 

It is a rhythm of rest that leaves us refreshed and ready for the work ahead.


So this weekend, wherever you find yourself, do what delights and energizes your heart.  Be it quiet.  Be it snuggling a loved one close.  Be it mowing your lawn.  Be it enjoying dinner with your neighbors.  Be it trying something new.  Be it going on a hike or taking a nap.

Live in the midst of God’s goodness. 

Just rest.

***

Grace and peace be ours in abundance as we find the rhythm of rest.  May we discover that God really knew what He was doing by setting the example for us of working and then resting.  As we follow His example, may we find that God meets us and fills us up to overflowing, as we rest in Him.  May the quality of our work and our lives be enriched because of it. 

Jessica :)

No comments:

Post a Comment