Monday, July 16, 2012

"You will be so good to me"


Heidi hastened to say [to Clara].  “We ought to pray to the dear Lord every day, and about every single thing; for then He will know that we do not forget that we receive everything from Him.  And if we forget the dear Lord, he will forget us too; your grandmamma told me that.  But, you know, if we do not receive what we would like we must not think the dear Lord hasn’t listened, and stop praying, but we must pray like this, “Now I know, dear Lord, that you have something better in store and I will be glad that you will be so good to me.”
-Johanna Spyri in Heidi

I finished reading Heidi a few weeks ago and this paragraph caught my attention.  While I’m not sure I totally agree that God forgets us, I love that Heidi so simply recognizes that we receive everything from God.  I love the way she has learned to respond when a prayer seems to go unanswered by continuing to pray, “Now I know that you have something better in store and I will be glad you will be so good to me.”  She learns this lesson through her own experience and shares it with her friend Clara when she comes to visit her in the Alps.  Heidi's response is worth remembering.


 

This week…

Let’s come before the Lord thankful that we receive everything from Him.


Let’s talk with Him in prayer about all things as we come and go.


Let’s be confident that he hears us even when circumstances don’t turn out the way we would like.

Let’s trust Him.

Let’s respond like Heidi—believing that He has something better in store for us and giving thanks that He would be so good to us.

***

Grace and peace be ours in abundance as we spend time in prayer trusting that God hears us and responds in just the way we need to draw nearer to Him and walk in trust.

Jessica :)

No comments:

Post a Comment