Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Place of Atonement

Today is Yom Kippur, the Jewish, Day of Atonement.  I think of a poem I wrote a few summers ago as I was listening to Revelation Song on a Sunday morning in the middle of worship.  Around me, people sang; I wrote.  I remember thinking about the Day of Atonement and how Jesus is our atoning sacrifice, perfectly fulfilling the law.

The mercy seat, place of atonement
His sacrifice flows down, beside cherubim
Trickle of sticky red, down gilded law
Blood, making right the brokenness of ages
For all who seek the perfect, spotless Lamb
Him with wounded hands and pierced side
Holy One, resurrected from sin’s deathly tomb
Living God, opening wide the Inner Chamber
To the Holy of Holies, relationship reconciled.


 "If anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father--Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.  he is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world."  1 John 2:1-2 NIV
***

Grace and peace be ours in abundance as we recognize in Jesus the perfect atoning sacrifice that fulfilled the Law.  May we come to him ready to confess.  As we do, may we receive the mercy that His life won for us with great joy, relationship reconciled.

Jessica :)

1 comment:

  1. I really like that last line, "to the holy of holies, relationship reconciled" beautiful.

    ReplyDelete